What makes up a beautiful bedding design? Learn everything you need in Macy’s Bedding 101. From sheets to comforters, we’re here to teach you about all the different layers and types of bedding for an A+ look. Shop the top bedding brands including Martha Stewart Collection (Created for Macy’s), Charter Club (Created for Macy’s), Hotel Collection (Created for Macy’s), Lauren Ralph Lauren and more!
What Do You Need for a Luxurious Bed?
For the best value, we recommend purchasing sheet sets that include a fitted sheet, a top/flat sheet and matching pillowcases.
Fitted Sheet. Featuring an elastic hem, the fitted sheet is placed directly on top of your mattress and should fit snuggly.
Top Sheet. The flat sheet goes on top of the fitted sheet and provides a slight extra layer of warmth.
This lightweight, decorative topper is placed above your sheets and extends all the way to the floor. It’s generally used to cover your bed during warmer months.
In cooler weather, enjoy the plush feel of this thick bed covering. A comforter is filled with down or synthetic fill to provide extra warmth. We offer a variety of fashionable comforters in the latest prints, patterns and colors. Looking for something more low-key? We recommend a down or down alternative comforter AKA a duvet.
4. Down & Down Alternative Comforters.
These cozy comforters generally come in white. If you want to jazz things up and keep them clean, you’ll need a duvet cover.
5. Duvet Cover.
A down comforter is placed inside this decorative cover and closed with buttons, snaps or ties. A duvet cover can be easily cleaned and switched up seasonally.
When the weather warms up, you might want to trade your comforter for a coverlet. It is a lightweight bed cover that is usually quilted.
Do you want a cozier bed during colder weather? Layer up with a warm and fuzzy blanket.
Patch together a toasty bed with a quilt. It’s stitched using a decorative pattern that resembles a grid.
These fabric covers are placed over your pillows, and they typically match your sheet set. For an on-trend look, scope out graphic pillowcases with cute prints and messaging.
This smaller blanket is mainly used for decorative purposes. For a trend-right feel, place a faux-fur or chunky-knit throw on top of your comforter.
11. Bedding Sets.
If you’re looking for an easy and economical way to decorate your bed, buy a bedding set, also known as, a bed in a bag. These convenient sets usually include a comforter and matching pillow shams. Larger sets might also include a bed skirt, sheet set, decorative pillows and Euro shams.
What Are the Best Sheets for You?
- Cotton Sheets. Enjoy the soft and cool feel of cotton sheets. Helping to wick away moisture, they provide a breathable finish.
- Supima Cotton Sheets. Treat yourself to ultra-soft Supima cotton sheets. They offer superior quality and longer-lasting color.
- Egyptian Cotton Sheets. Do you want to invest in sheets with a luxurious feel? Egyptian cotton sheets are considered to be the best due to long, strong and soft fibers. Check out a higher thread count for an ultra-luxe situation.
- Flannel Sheets. Warm up your winter bedding with flannel sheets that provide a soft and cozy vibe for those cold nights.
- Linen Sheets. It’s not just for pants. Linen is a great material for sheets due to its moisture-wicking and hypoallergenic properties. This light and airy fabric makes a fabulous addition to your summer bedding.
- Percale Sheets. Made from a tight cotton weave, percale sheets are known for being durable and smooth. Who doesn’t want a cool and crisp feeling against their skin?
Sateen Sheets. Want your sheets to have a subtle sheen and a smooth touch? Make your bedding design shine with sateen sheets.
- Satin Sheets. Looking to spice up your bedding? Indulge in the silky texture and lustrous shine of satin sheets and pillowcases. Lingerie not included 🙂
- Bamboo from Rayon Sheets. If you’re looking for hypoallergenic, ultra-soft and moisture-wicking sheets, then you’ll sleep easier with bamboo from rayon sheets. These sheets combine the sustainability of bamboo with the accessibility of rayon.
Fit to Fluff: Types of Pillowcases
- Silk Pillowcases. Take your bedtime to a new level of luxury with silk pillowcases. This sumptuous bedding feels great on your hair and skin, reducing bedhead and sleep creases.
- Shams. These covers are designed for decorative pillows that aren’t used for sleeping. Shams generally coordinate with your comforter. Unlike a pillowcase, shams are open at the back with overlapping flaps.
- Euro Pillow Shams. Want to lend opulence to your bedding? Just add large square pillows, known as Euro pillows. Don’t forget, you’ll need special covers called Euro shams.
Blankets to Heat Up Your Bedding Design
- Weighted Blanket. Wrap yourself in a warm hug with a weighted blanket. If you’re suffering from stress and anxiety, these heavy-duty blankets may help calm you down. These blankets can weigh about 15 lbs. and should be about 10% of your body weight. Remember to check out weighted blankets with cooling properties, so you don’t get overheated while you sleep.
- Electric/Heated Blanket. Customize your ideal cuddling temperature with an electric blanket. They’re a fantastic way to instantly heat up your bed.
- Chunky-Knit Blanket. Add stylish texture to your bedding design with a chunky-knit blanket, featuring oversized loops for a trend-right finish.
- Fleece Blanket. Banish winter chills with a cozy fleece blanket—it’s ultra-soft and hypoallergenic.
- Wool Blanket. When winter strikes, snuggle up in a wool blanket. Look for machine washable styles for easier care.
- Cooling Blanket. Want to be curled up in covers and not get overheated? We’re loving cooling blankets that help wick away moisture. These blankets are terrific for warmer months or hot sleepers.
- Knitted Blanket. How do you make your bed more comfortable in winter? A knitted blanket will warm up your bedding—it’s time to get wrapped up.
- Sweatshirt Blanket. Want to stay warm while you’re on the go? Get cozy in a sweatshirt blanket that combines the warmth of a blanket and the portability of your fave hoodie.
Cozy Up to Comforters
Goose Down Comforter. Invest in ultimate luxury with a goose down comforter. Filled with feathers, these plush comforters keep you super cozy, while providing breathability. Unlike synthetic-filled comforters, goose down comforters maintain their loft for longer. If you’re concerned about allergies, Macy’s carries hypoallergenic goose down comforters.
Comforter Sets. Looking for a quick way to refresh your bedroom? Start by getting a new comforter set that includes a comforter and coordinating shams. Larger piece sets can include a sheet set, bedskirt, decorative pillows and more.
Patch Works: Types of Quilts
Cotton Quilt. Do you need a lightweight topper for your bedding design? A cotton quilt is the answer to sweet dreams.
Velvet Quilt. Turn your bed into a decadent delight with a velvet quilt. This plush fabric is perfect for colder months.
Finishing Touches: Throw Bedding
Throw Pillows. Create a glam look for your bed with tons of throw pillows—the more the dreamier. We’re loving decorative pillows with pom-poms, fringe and cute sayings. If you want to refresh your bedding, simply swap out your throw pillows.
Sherpa Throw. Cozy up to the incredible warmth of a Sherpa fleece-lined throw. You won’t want to be uncovered.
Faux-Fur Throw. Infuse a trend-right feel to your bedding design with a faux-fur throw. Layer this “it” accessory on top of your comforter—sleep tight!