As the summer months arrive with expected warmer weather and longer days, it’s an ideal time to refresh your bedding. In our following guide, we will provide you with essential recommendations on cleaning your mattress, sheets, and pillows. In addition, we’ll go through key items that might need to be replaced in order to ensure consistent sleep throughout the summer. Prepare for a season of peaceful summer relaxation by rejuvenating your bedding!
Cleaning Tips for Your Mattress, Sheets, and Pillows
Your mattress serves as the foundation for a good night’s sleep, and proper cleaning is crucial to maintain its freshness. Follow these steps to clean your mattress effectively:
- Begin by vacuuming the surface of the mattress to remove any dust, dirt, and debris.
- Sprinkle baking soda over the entire mattress, gently rubbing it in with a soft brush. Baking soda aids in odor elimination.
- Allow the baking soda to sit for approximately 30 minutes to an hour, and then vacuum it off.
- For any stains, spot-clean them using a mixture of mild detergent and warm water. Remember to blot the stain instead of rubbing it to prevent spreading.
- Ensure that your mattress air dries completely before placing any sheets or bedding back on.
Clean sheets not only feel amazing, but they also contribute to a healthier sleeping environment. Here’s how to keep your sheets fresh and clean:
- Check the care instructions on your sheets for any specific cleaning recommendations.
- Wash your sheets in warm water with a mild detergent. Avoid using bleach or harsh chemicals that could damage the fabric.
- Tumble dry on low heat or consider hanging them outside to air dry if possible. Excessive heat can weaken the fibers and cause shrinkage.
- If desired, iron your sheets for a crisp and inviting look.
Pillows play a vital role in supporting your head and neck during sleep. Regular cleaning helps maintain their shape and hygiene:
- Review the care instructions on your pillows. Some may be machine washable, while others may require spot cleaning.
- Machine washable pillows should be washed on a gentle cycle using mild detergent. Add a second rinse to ensure all detergent is removed.
- For pillows that are not machine washable, spot-clean them using a mixture of warm water and mild detergent. Gently dab the stained areas and let them air dry thoroughly.
- After cleaning, fluff and reshape your pillows to restore their original loft and comfort.
Essential Replacements and Swaps to Consider This Summer
If your mattress is over seven to ten years old, it may be time to consider replacing it. Over time, mattresses accumulate dust mites, and allergens, and lose their supportive properties, leading to discomfort and disturbed sleep. When searching for a new mattress, consider your preferences, such as memory foam, latex, or innerspring, and factors like firmness, breathability, and support.
It is suggested that you replace your bed linens every two years. While high-quality sheets can last for a long time, the fibers gradually wear out, making even the greatest sheets appear and feel worn. Newer bed sheets are simpler to clean and maintain, resulting in a more restful night’s sleep. Choose lighter, breathable materials during the summer to avoid sweating on hot nights. When looking for summer bedding, seek textiles that have the following characteristics:
- Breathable and lightweight: Summer sheets are often lightweight with a soft, smooth feel. Percale cotton sheets are a great premium option because of their softness and durability. Linen sheets have a clean and airy feel to them.
- Moisture Absorption: In hot and humid climates, moisture absorption becomes crucial for a night of uninterrupted sleep. Cotton, linen, and bamboo sheets are known for their moisture-wicking properties, drawing sweat away from your body and absorbing it. Tencel has become a popular fiber found in several high-quality cooling sheet sets. This helps you stay dry and prevents the sheets from sticking to your skin and causing discomfort, so you don’t wake up as often.
- Durability: Sheets made from natural fibers, such as cotton, linen, and bamboo are generally sturdy and long-lasting. They are capable of withstanding habitual washing while maintaining their quality.
- Weave: Look for sheets that have “percale” or “sateen” weave. Percale sheets have a crisp, cool feel with a matte finish, while sateen sheets offer a silky-smooth texture and a slight sheen. Both weaves provide maximum breathability and comfort during the warmer months.
- Pillows, depending on their quality and usage, should be replaced every one to two years. If your pillows have lost their shape, are no longer providing appropriate support, or have grown lumpy, it’s time to replace them.
- Consider cooling technology when purchasing a new pillow to improve your comfort throughout the hot months.
- Remember to pair your new pillows with pillowcases and pillow protectors to extend their life and keep them clean throughout the summer.
In addition to washing your mattress, sheets, and pillows, you should check the condition of your mattress protector. Mattress coverings keep spills, stains, allergies, and dust mites out of your mattress. They can wear out, lose effectiveness, or sustain damage over time. Consider materials like gel-infused memory foam or latex when searching for a mattress protector this summer, which gives pressure relief and greater breathability for a more pleasant sleep. Sit ‘n Sleep sells high-quality mattress protectors both in-store and online.
Drew Miller is the VP of Marketing for Sit ‘n Sleep, one of the largest mattress retailers in Southern California. The son of CEO/Owner Larry Miller, Drew marks the third generation of Millers to dedicate their lives to helping people sleep better. Drew has made it his mission to evolve Sit ‘n Sleep’s digital storefront while nurturing what’s been built by his dad and the Sit ‘n Sleep team: over 37 brick-and-mortar stores across California.